Thursday, April 14, 2011

I love old things

Antiques facinate me. I love the wood grain, patina and how they work. I wonder who owned them long before they came to me, what they did with them, where they lived and what they were thinking while they used it..

Here is a flax castle wheel that was given to me recently. Isn't it the cutest thing? If you look closely you will see some ivory accents. Sadly, it has a few parts missing so I can't spin anything on it.



I was also given an antique flax break.



About a week ago I saw a show on PBS about Abraham Lincoln. They showed a picture of his death bed. I was struck at how similar our bed and that one were. Here is a link to the bed. It is now in a museum in Chicago, Illinois. http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/education/abed.htm

Here is a picture of our bed.



Amazingly similar, don't you think?

Llinda

5 comments:

  1. Your little wheel is so cute! and close in design to my Wee Peggy upright castle wheel.

    I wonder when I touch an old shuttle or feel the groove worn in a beater by the gripping hand of a weaver... and I think about them leaning over my shoulder, smiling down on me as I work with the same tools they did many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Karen, I've got a Wee Peggy too!! It doesn't get a workout every year tho!
    Linda, your studio is absolutely awesome! I think the little wheel is the perfect addition to your living area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wheel is a great addition to your studio. I'm sure you could get that little darling humming again, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you can find the missing parts that you need to make it work. It is beautiful. Yes, the beds are very similar. Did you make the coverlet on you bed? It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, I wish! No, it came from Family Heirloom Weavers. I bought it at one of my favorite shops in Clinton.

    ReplyDelete